One of the important things to remember about water sports and boating is the necessity of sobriety. Naturally, many people do not equate boating with driving, but the fact of the matter is that boating and jet-skiing under the influence can be deadly for you and other persons on the water.
It’s easy to spend a day boating and having a few drinks, but a designated boater is essential. There are several reasons why boating under the influence is a hazard, so let our lawyers who handle boating accidents show you why boating under the influence can be disastrous.
Essential Safety Rules of Boating
There are multiple safety precautions that you should follow while boating and jet-skiing. These include:
- Wearing proper safety equipment, including a Type 1 or Type 2 life jacket
- Attaching a whistle to your life jacket
- Understanding how to operate your craft
- Staying out of swimming areas or wildlife reserves
- Operating a jet-ski only from sunrise to sunset; never at night
- Staying away from fishermen and canoeists
- Knowing the water
If you abide by the aforementioned safety precautions, you will likely avoid any serious accidents or injuries, yet if you’re boating or jet-skiing under the influence, the likelihood of injury and accidents will skyrocket!
Why Boating and Jet-Skiing Under the Influence Can Be Deadly
There are several reasons why boating and jet-skiing under the influence can cause extreme accidents. These reasons include:
- Impaired judgement, meaning that the likelihood that you will be willing to take dangerous risks will increase
- Impaired motor coordination
- An increased likelihood that you will ignore the aforementioned safety regulations
Boating Accident Statistics
The boating accident statistics reported by the U.S. Coast Guard in 2009 were:
- 4,730 total accidents
- 736 deaths
- 3,358 injuries
- 84% of persons NOT wearing life-jackets
Many of these boating and jet-ski accidents were due to boating under the influence, thereby illuminating the fact that boating under the influence is extremely deadly.
If you would like to learn more about boating accidents, please see the following page:
Boating Injuries and Injury Lawyers
A boater should always be aware of other boats on the water, thereby avoiding boating accidents. Of course, many persons who have suffered boating accidents do not know where to turn. This is why people who have suffered personal injuries due to boating accidents should seek a boating and jet-ski accident lawyer.
If you choose a boating accident lawyer, you can rest assured that you will be able to get the compensation you need to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and personal damages.
Choosing Link & Smith P.C.
If you choose our injury law firm, our boating injury lawyers will be happy to help you. If you would like a complimentary consultation, please call our office today at 404-315-8840.