Being an unfortunate victim of a DUI accident can be a life-changing experience. Your life can be shattered in the blink of an eye. This can all happen because someone else made the ignorant decision to drive while intoxicated—and now other people suffer because of his/her negligence.
If you or a loved one is a DUI victim in the La Grange, GA area, you can count on the injury lawyers at Link & Smith, P.C. to fight for your legal rights. Obtaining the compensation you deserve for such a horrific incident is our main priority. Our layers will stand by your side to help you pick up the pieces once again—-you can count us.
Basics of DUI accidents
Drinking and driving not only wreaks havoc for the DUI victim, but the victim’s family and friends also deal with intense emotional pain and suffering. DUI is not only limited to alcohol and illegal drugs, but also refers to any harmful substance that causes intoxication and affects your judgment.
For clarification purposes, DUI has various acronyms depending on which state you reside in. The following acronyms are charges that can be brought on for drunk driving accidents:
- DUI—Driving Under the Influence
- DWI—Driving While Intoxicated
- OUI—Operating Under the Influence
- DUII—Driving Under the Influence of an Intoxicant
No matter which acronym is used, these charges are extremely serious, and they cause detrimental results, too.
What do I do at the scene of the DUI accident?
If you are ever a DUI victim, it is to your benefit to act cautiously and intelligently at the scene of the accident. We know this might be difficult, especially if you are suffering serious injuries.
If you are physically and psychologically able to do the following at the scene, it is recommended to:
- Call the police or 911.
- Take as many pictures as possible of everything you can at the scene. As much evidence as possible will help your case down the road.
- Talk to bystanders, if possible, for their accounts of what happened. You can write down their information in case your lawyers need them to deliver eyewitness accounts in court.
- Gather information as possible during the night of the accident.
- Call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
We will whole-heartedly fight for your rights.