Are you or your loved one suffering from personal injuries due to someone else’s negligence? Have you been a victim of a texting while driving accident, tractor-trailer accident, motorcycle accident, or a victim of a DUI incident?
If so, Link & Smith, P.C. are Dunwoody injury lawyers who believe that serious injuries deserve superior results. We are on your side every step of the way to obtain the compensation you and your family deserves.
Two Types of Damages: Compensatory & Punitive
- Once we confidentially discuss the details of your injury incident, we will help you determine an estimate of what types of damages result from your accident. In general, there are two types of damages that can occur—compensatory and punitive.
- Compensatory damages can include property damages, medical expenses, feelings of embarrassment, and many more related consequences resulting from your injury.
- On the other hand, punitive damages are established by the court system to punish the defendant since they acted with negligence and careless behavior. Punitive damages can be harsh in cases involving malicious intent and recklessly disobeying the law.
When Will I Receive Compensation?
- Some of you may be wondering how long it might take for you to receive the compensation from your settlement, and the answer obviously varies from case to case.
- For instance, if your case involves a large corporation or has multiple plaintiffs and defendants, you might not receive compensation for a few years. In such cases, sometimes you will reach a structured settlement, in which you will not receive a lump sum amount, but, however, you will receive your compensation from an arranged pay system scheduled to disburse on a yearly basis.
- Furthermore, if you are partially responsible in a personal injury accident, you might be able to still obtain compensation for your losses. This type of compensation would be a specific percentage of overall damages incurred. However, in such cases, you (or your insurance company) still might have to pay damages to the other driver since you were partially responsible.
Call our Dunwoody injury lawyers today!
Our lawyers will help you understand and determine which types of damages and compensation you can obtain. If you have any questions regarding the aforementioned damages or processes of receiving your compensation, our competent and well-respected injury lawyers in Dunwoody are more than happy to speak with you!